Tsavo East National Park
Tsavo National Park (East) has got an area of 11,747km2 and home to the "Big Five" (Elephant, Rhino, Lion, Leopard and Buffalo). Other animals present are the fringe - eared oryx gerenuks, lesser kudu, cheetahs, eland, dikdik, zebra, impala, gazelle, giraffes etc. Game can easily be seen at the various waterholes in the park or the lodge waterholes. With over 500 species, birdlife is equally diverse, especially along the rivers and around the dams or water holes. Tsavo is on a migration corridor from the Coast and
migrants from other continents have been recorded. Bird species include starlings, weaverbirds, kingfishers hornbills’ secretary bird and other raptors, rollers, herons, and stocks.
The Park has a beautiful landscape of plains, rocky ridges and outcrops. Due to its size the park is among the worlds biodiversity strongholds. The park has diverse habitats. Though the vegetation can generally be categorized as bushed grassland, the Park has open plains alternating with savanna bush and acacia scrub and woodlands. There are also belts of riverine vegetation. Most large herbivores and carnivores are adequately represented in the park.
- Roads: the park Mtito Andei Gates is 233 km South of Nairobi and 250 km North of Mombasa on the main Nairobi- Mombasa Road. Distance Nairobi-Mtito Andei: 233 km - Mtito Andei-Voi: 96 km - Voi-Mombasa: 153 km. From Malindi, take the western road (C103) and enter in the park via Sala gate.
- Airstrips: Voi, Aruba, Satao, Sala, Ithumba, Sangayaya, Mopeo, Bachuma, Cottars,
- Mtito Andei
SIZE / LOCATION:
- 13,747 sq. km
- South East Kenya, inland from the Coast
- Entry is by SafariCard only. Safari cards may be loaded at Voi Gate
- Elephant in Eden - The sight of dust-red elephant wallowing, rolling and spraying each other with the midnight blue waters of palm-shaded Galana River is one of the most evocative images of Africa
- Aruba Dam - The beautiful Aruba dam located on the north bank of the seasonal Voi River, is visited by thousands of animals and a great game viewing destination
- Mudanda Rock - This whale –backed Rock towers above a natural dam, which acts as a draw to thousands of Elephants
The longest lava flow in the world- at 300 kilometers in length, the heat shimmering edge of yatta plateau is the longest lava flow in the world and an ornithological paradise that attract migrating birds from all over the world
- Lugards Falls - Named after Captain Lugard, the first proconsul to East Africa, the falls feature bizarrely eroded rocks through which the waters of the Galana River plunge into foaming rapids and crocodile –infested pools
- The Park is home to most of the larger mammals, vast herds of dust –red elephant, Rhino, buffalo, lion, leopard, pods of hippo,crocodile, waterbucks, Kudu, Gerenuk and Hirola
- The prolific bird life features 500 recorded species.
WHERE TO STAY:
- In - Park Accommodation
- Ashnil Aruba Lodge
- Voi Wildlife Lodge
- Camping Facilities
- Public campsites: Ndololo Campsite
- A selection of special campsites are available however these must be booked in advance
- Game viewing
- Bird watching
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU:
- Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks.